March 23, 2011

Monday Night Raw Review: March 21/11

Wow, it's tuesday and I'm doing my review. What's wrong with me? Anyways, I've rounded up the nominees for the greatest entrance theme and the list looks good. I want you guys to post here with your top 10 (from those nominees) for both the classic and modern category. Once you've done that, I'll finalize the brackets and present the weekly matchups. Whichever theme gets the least votes of each pair will be eliminated, all the way to number one.

So, on to Raw. I just want to say, is Wrestlemania really next weekend? For some reason I haven't seen as much hype as I have in years past. Where did the spirit of Wrestlemania go? Am I the only one that lost it?

WZ Coverage

Win:

-- Danielson's theme song. I love Ride of the Valkyries and I seriously thought it would make a great entrance theme for a long time. I was right.

-- Hearing from more people than just HBK on Taker vs. Trips.

-- Miz's closing promo. He did everything right here. Plus he made the WWE Title look better, even if it is only slightly so. Of course Cena had to ruin it. He's a bigger buzzkill than Buzz Killington.

-- Okay, Cena actually was there. He made me look like a fool. congrats. Don't get used to it.

Fail:

-- BOOMER SOONE -- Fuck you Cole!

-- Triple H, while he did a good job at working the crowd, repeated almost verbatim what he's been saying for the last couple of weeks. "If the streak dies, you die too" can only be said so many times, especially if he's going to keep saying it the same way over and over.

-- DiBiase getting beat down like a punk. This was a bad move on WWE's part. The kid has some talent and they aren't using him properly. I just don't like seeing it go to waste like this.

-- Practice what you preach Cena. Get your candyass out to the ring and deliver a real promo. Not that I'd care to see it either way.

-- More Lawler family bullshit from Cole. I'm sick and tired of it. This is one of the lowest bows you can throw and I thought that WWE was better than this.

-- Alex Riley being re-hired by Miz. I do like them as a pair, but at the same time this is basically what happened when Cena was "fired." He just showed up again and came back as if nothing ever happened. The rest of the promo was good.

WTF:

-- Orton has a big match at Wrestlemania, and we get to hear him talking about a bus.

-- Again, Snooki being in a match at WM. It's bullshit. The chick shouldn't be wrestling. It's not a business move, it's just stupid.

-- Not that I'm complaining, but was there only one email all night?

-- Can't even get the same girl to play Orton's wife again. Some people do notice these things. On the other hand she could be a Time Lord....

Matches:

Bourne vs. Sheamus -- Good match. I don't like that Bourne is losing, but I hope that it leads to him competing for the title down the road. It was a short match but it was pretty good for the time it was given.

Rating: 7/10

 Maryse vs. Eve -- I don't know why, but I get bored with womens wrestling. The matches (especially lately) are all dull and generally useless. That said Eve is pretty good in the ring. She's doing alright but WWE needs to start using her (and the other women) properly. I honestly think this match was meant as filler until Cole's announcement.

Rating: 4/10

Santino and Kozlov vs. Slater and Gabriel -- WWE needs new tag teams like Charlie Sheen needs to be sedated. For those not informed, that's very badly. Slater and Gabriel are one of the best duos they have right now and I'd like to see some decent competition for them. I'm not usually a fan of random pairings as tag teams but honestly it's time to start trying. The match itself wasn't as terrible as some of the tag team matches can be. The Cobra is also one of the worst finishers ever and I'm glad to see it not winning as many matches as it originally did.

Rating: 5/10

Ziggler/Vickie/LayCool vs. Morrison/Stratus -- I'm just going to avoid this one. The men did well, Trish did well, but that's the end of anything decent. Nothing against the women per se, but when they give us women that can't wrestle, I start to lose faith. The match was underwhelming at best.

Rating: 4/10

Orton vs. Rey -- Potential for an okay match here. It was going alright until the whole thing with the tour bus. Yes, Punk did need to get some more heat and momentum going into next week but at the same time it was so obvious this was going to happen as soon as they started talking about the bus and showing Orton's (kayfabe) wife.

Rating: 5/10

Average match rating: 5/10 (-0.2)

Match of the Night: Sheamus vs. Bourne

Overall show rating: 5/10 (-1.5)

Not the best Raw by a long shot. The show has gone way downhill from where it was a couple weeks ago. They have one more week to impress before the big event. They'd better figure it out, and fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment