March 2, 2011

Monday Night Raw Review: Feb. 28/11

Yeah, it's late again, but earlier than it was last week. I guess that's something.

WZ coverage

The Good: 


-- HHH's opening promo. He hasn't missed a beat. I'm not as much of a fan as I used to be, but he's still able to capture an audience. He's got great delivery, and he can draw people into what he's saying. Not a lot of people can do that. That said, I didn't like Sheamus coming out. It was good to see the Pedigree through the announce table but other than that I don't think it was necessary.

-- Lawler calling Cole "cold sore." That was awesome.

-- Punk vs. Orton at WM. That will be a great match. I just don't understand the point to the matches against Nexus members. Why not just get it over with and ban them all? We all know none of them will win against Orton so why bother?

-- The escape-only cage match. This is the way they should all be. Otherwise, there's no point to the cage and they may as well just have a normal match.


-- I love how they didn't even try to censor the Rock this week. The entire promo was gold.


The Bad:

-- Sheamus getting beat down so Evan Bourne can return and win. I know that's the only reason they did the match when they did, because they don't think Bourne beating Sheamus is believable otherwise.

-- Cole vs. Lawler at WM. This is going to be one of the worst matches in WM history. I have this awful feeling that Cole will win for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is the clause that says Lawler can't touch Cole. I think it won't be mentioned between now and WM, then suddenly brought back up seconds before the match starts.

-- Miz's promo. I didn't like the fact that he's pissed off about the Rock not answering him. He really shouldn't care. I can just hear him saying "what about me? What about Miz?" This whole promo was a flop, which is a rarity for Miz. I think Cena somehow made it better which is something I never thought I'd say. Miz came up with the worst "if I -- or rather Riley -- wins" stipulation ever.

-- Rock not appearing in person. The promo itself was good, but I wish he'd done it live. The fact that it was pre-taped showed through in the timing of it as he talked over the crowd a couple of times which would never happen live (at least not intentionally). Plus I could have sworn he was in front of a green screen.

-- Miz attacking Danielson for no good reason. I didn't see the point to it at all but maybe I missed something. Oh, well there you go. He did it because he can. What the fuck?

WTF:

-- King saying "I don't think Undertaker's WM streak is in more jeopardy than it is right now." Don't they say that every single year?

-- What was up with that dance Cole did? He looked like an epileptic rat.

-- Cena: Learn to grammar. The apostrophe in "doctor's note" was unnecessary. Back to grade 3 for you.

-- Worst. Toilet joke. Ever. Thank you A-Ry for proving that you shouldn't be talking.

-- Will they ever explain why Alex Riley is carrying that briefcase around?

The Matches:

King Sheamus vs. Evan Bourne -- Good to see Bourne back. I missed the kid. The shooting star was epic as it always is, but this did nothing for either man involved. It was a quick "hey I'm back" match that in the end only hurts Sheamus and doesn't put Bourne further ahead.

Rating: 5/10

Orton vs. McG -- Solid performance from both men, but I don't think McG is quite there yet. He's come a long way, but he's still lacking in the charisma department. He's not at the stage where he can have an exciting match yet. Almost, but not quite. All the excitement here came from Orton.

Rating: 7/10

Divas battle royal -- Uh, pass.

Rating: 2/10

Cena vs. Riley -- Cena was useless as ever. I knew something was up when Riley slowed way the hell down when he was on top of the cage. I love the cover-up Cole tried to do for it as well. "Maybe he's afraid of heights." Yeah well maybe Cena needs to get his monkey ass up and do something right for a change. I liked Miz taking the picture of Cena. For those interested in seeing it, it's the ACA's group photo right now. Pretty funny stuff.

Rating: 6/10

Average match rating: 5/10 (-0.3)

Match of the Night: Orton vs. McG

Overall show rating: 7.5/10 (-0.5)

Overall a good show but a lack of matches and too much talking made it a little boring. It didn't have the same feel the last couple of weeks did. It wasn't as exciting which with a month until Wrestlemania is not something you want to skimp on. The show definitely had its moments, but there weren't as many of them as I would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment