March 18, 2011

Monday Night Raw Review: Mar. 14/11

Happy St. Patty's Day everyone. Yes, late again. I've been busy with work as usual, but I have next tuesday off, to I should be able to post on time next week. Thanks for sticking with me even through all my lateness. Oh and one small change. Instead of good and bad, we now have win and fail. I'll leave you to the brain-busting task of figuring out which is which.

WZ Coverage

Win:

-- The Rock's opening promo. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. The kid did a pretty good impression of Cena and the Rock was spot on as always. I missed his promos. I'm honestly looking forward to his next promo.

-- Miz's promo was really good as well. He's continuing to improve his promos over the last couple of weeks, and it shows.

-- Lawler cutting off Cole. Well done, it's about damn time.

-- BOOMER SOONER! Fuck yeah, JR's in the house. It's good to see him again. He didn't really do much, but then he didn't have to. He's JR, he makes everything better.

-- Miz as the Rock. This was pretty funny. This is one of the more creative things I've seen in recent weeks. He did a good job with that Rock Bottom to boot. Miz definitely has what it takes to be a champion. I haven't seen anyone own Cena like this since Nexus destroyed him a while ago. Maybe creative is coming around, finally.

Fail:

-- Miz seeming like an afterthought in the Rock's promo. He's the WWE champion for fuck sake, give him SOME credit.

-- Snooki. What was the point? Why give her a match at WM? I don't care what kind of publicity it gets the event, she shouldn't be wrestling. I think that if you can't sell an event based on the wrestlers/matches on the card, you shouldn't be having events.

-- Grand Master Sexay. I liked Too Cool back in the day, but bringing family into this stuff has never sat well with me (aside from Cena's dad getting RKO'ed) and nobody knows who the fuck he is anymore. This segment bombed. Badly.

-- Cole butchering the Ankle Lock on JR. According to his blog, COle actually injured him. Some people have suggested that it's kayfabe to keep up appearances, but I don't think JR would bullshit his fans like that.

-- Nexus getting mangled in less than a month. WWE was doing pretty good with the group until they sent Barrett to SD. Sure, they'd been losing credibility since Cena was fired then rehired for no reason, but there was still hope. Now, it's all dead. The once great group has been reduced to a piled of punted corpses. WWE dropped the ball here.

-- Drew Carey in the HOF. Move over Pete Rose.

WTF:

-- Not that I'm complaining, but when did Cole decide to lock himself in a glass box?

-- Is it just me, or was JR's mouth barely moving? It's like watching an episode of Speed Racer.

Matches:

Miz vs. Khali -- This was very underwhelming. I can understand the DQ finish as it helps build Miz's heel status, but at the same time I feel ripped off. When they say "first time ever match" I expect something big and spectacular, not a slow Indian giant whose novelty has worn off.

Rating: 4/10

Sheamus vs. Danielson (US Title) -- This was a decent match. It's actually nice to see them doing something with the US Title. Both men did a great job in the match. I'm surprised it went as long as it did, but it left me wanting to see more. Not because it was lacking anything, but because it was a great match and I want to see them go at it again.

Rating: 8/10

Orton vs. Ryan -- Mason Ryan is still pretty green but he's got a ton of potential. I definitely see him going places. This was a good match, but not great. Sure, Orton was as solid in the ring as ever, but his Superman persona is continuing to inflate. The "flash" RKO is getting boring, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. I don't mind it every now and then, but every week? It's old news now. The last truly exciting RKO was when he nailed Bourne mid-air. The match was pretty predictable but it was still some good technical work. Like I said at the start, good but not great.

Rating: 6/10

Vickie vs. Trish -- I think this was total bullshit. I'm glad Vickie's win wasn't clean, but still. This match made a mockery out of an already laughable womens division. Trish is one of the greatest divas of all time and to do this to her is just stupid. I knew as soon as I heard it was no-DQ that there would be interference. It was not worth my time in any way.

Rating: 3/10

Del Rio vs. Cena -- Del Rio was looking good tonight. He did pretty good given what he had to work with. That said, I was not a fan of this match at all. Cena was just as bad as ever and it's really dragging everyone else down.

Rating: 5/10

Average match rating: 5.2/10 (-1.55)
Match of the Night: Danielson vs. Sheamus
Overall show rating: 6.5/10 (-1.5)

The next few weeks, I'll be rounding up your thoughts on which entrance theme is the best. Join the discussion on the ACA Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment