December 30, 2010

Monday Night Raw Review: Dec. 27/10

Okay, here we are at the end of 2010. The new year is coming fast and I for one can't wait. Before I go any further, I'd like to take care of some business. I'll be out of the country from Jan 3-10 and therefore won't be able to review Raw next week. I'll try to have at least one feature post up by the end of the week for you.

WZ Coverage

It's the last show of the year and it looks promising. Let's hope it delivers.

Oh great, Cena's in the ring. There goes that. He's jabbering on about the 2 attacks last week and I for one think he deserved both of them. I don't know what to think of this thing with CM Punk. On the one hand, I like Punk, but I don't want to see him in a feud with Cena because I know he'll get buried.

Punk is great on the mic tonight. Love to hear him talk.

He makes a lot of valid points as well, even though Cena does his best to spin them in his favour. Seriously, Cena is more annoying than a genital wart. This guy could shoot someone in the face, then try to talk the cops into thinking it was a suicide.

Time for our first match, thank God.

Match 1: Ted DiBiase vs. Santino

What the fuck did Ted do to deserve losing to Santino? Ted was supposed to be in the US Title picture and is supposed to be a credible contender, yet he's losing to the biggest joke champion since Cena. What's going on here?

The ending didn't help matter either. Overall a pretty bad match from both men. That's not to say that Ted didn't do well, it's just the match was terrible on every level but Ted's wrestling.

Rating: 5/10

Miz and Riley are a cool duo. I like the whole concept that Morrison presented here, and the stipulations were a good touch. I just don't like Morrison as a talker. Do we really need to see Lawler vs. Miz AGAIN?

Match 2: Morrison vs. Riley

I was expecting something different, but I think what happened could work. I was thinking Miz would get into the ring and hit Riley, which would make Morrison the loser and have to forfeit his #1 contendership. Oh well, a falls count anywhere match for the title will be fun to see next week.

Rating: 7/10

 Miz again is doing a good job talking. I just hope the match with Lawler goes better than the last 2. Or better yet I hope it gets canceled.

I'm torn as to what to think about Punk making a big deal out of calling out Cena. Sure, I know he's got a big surprise, but at the same time, he's making Cena look like a big deal. I don't know. I guess I'll just say that it's cool and leave it at that.

Bryan Danielson still somehow has the Bellas with him. I'm jealous. Hell, give me either Bella and I'll be happy. Kidd is still working on his mic skills, but he's getting there. I think he'd do well in a feud with Danielson. The question I have is what will happen to Jackson Andrews after this angle is played out? Will they try to give him a singles career, or just stick him back on FCW?

Match 3: Henry vs. Kidd

Yeah, pointless loss for Kidd. They're trying to make him a title contender and they have him lose to the World's Fattest Man. It's bullshit. I called the finish, too. As soon as I saw Kidd go for the dive, I knew what was coming. Predictable and boring.

Rating: 5/10

Miz is on the mic again before his match and again he delivered a good promo. I like how he was able to improv that line about the people sounding like ducks. It's true, they do sound like ducks. Anyways, good job.

Match 4: Miz vs. Lawler

Well, the only upside here is that Lawler didn't get a pinfall victory. It still sucks that Miz lost, but at least he has some shred of credibility left.

Rating: 4/10

Punk is continuing to set up his thing with Cena which I still have conflicting feelings about, but oh well. Sheamus is looking good as the King too, although I liked his other crown better. Again, oh well.

Match 5: Melina and Alicia Fox vs. Gail Kim and Eve

There were a couple of decent parts but it wasn't that great. On a side note here, why was Miz on before the Divas?

Rating: 5/10

Melina is doing well as a heel so far which is nice to see. Finally a villain diva that isn't LayCool. Hopefully it lasts.

I'm hoping those EMT's that Punk is talking to are actually needed for Cena tonight. Maybe I'm vindictive, but c'mon, I think all of you readers want to see Cena get his ass handed to him.

Match 6: Danielson vs. Zack Ryder

I thought Ryder was cut in the last round of releases? Whatever. Decent match from these two. Nice backslide counter by Danielson for the victory as well.

Rating: 8/10


The GM's email came out of nowhere, and the content was way out in left field so I knew something was up. Overall though, good for Miz to beat up Lawler. It puts him over as a heel and is trying to restore some credibility by saying that he could have won his match earlier if it wasn't for Morrison.

Match 7: King Sheamus vs. Orton


Great match from 2 of WWE's best at the moment. It was really cool to watch because the athleticism was very impressive. Some of the best spots I've seen recently. All hail King Sheamus.


Rating: 9/10

Great, Cena is in the ring saying he's calling out Punk instead of the other way around as planned earlier. Lovely.

Nexus is a sight for sore eyes to be sure. Barrett isn't in sight so Otunga does the talking. Honestly, when he started repeating himself, I thought someone missed their cue to come out. Maybe not, but that's how it came across to me. Anyways, I'd like to know where Barrett is.


I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Cena get beat down by Nexus. This is one angle that will never get old. Too bad nobody will ever show it from 6 different angles and slow-mo.

Here comes Punk. This is the kind of promo I like. He didn't say anything, and he didn't have to. His actions spoke loud enough and I think, if done well, him leading Nexus could be the best storyline of 2011. Great ending to the show (and the year for Raw) with Cena flat on his face, with Punk and Nexus standing tall.

I don't know if I'm nit-picking here or if I actually picked up on something important, but it took Gabriel forever to raise his arm at the end there. Is this just bad timing, or is he the next person to leave Nexus?

Average Match Rating: 6.1/10 (+0.7)

Match of the Night: King Sheamus vs. Orton

Overall Show Rating: 7.5/10 (+1.5)

Magic 8-Ball:

Miz retains, through help of Riley, or Morrison wins, with help from Lawler. It's a toss up at this point.

Barrett starts a singles career after a brief power struggle that sees Punk kick him out of Nexus.

CM Punk brings all the gold to Nexus over the coming months.

That does it for this edition of Raw

Again, I won't be able to review Raw next week as I'll be sitting on a beach in Punta Cana. I'll try to have my post on the little things up before I leave, and if I'm sitting here on New Year's Eve with nothing to do (don't laugh, it's very possible) I'll post my hopes for 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment