January 19, 2011

WWE Monday Night Raw Review: Jan 17/11

Yeah, it's a day late. I waited until today when I actually had some time to do it. I don't want to half ass it.

WZ Coverage

Great, Cena's starting the show. Even Miz and Riley couldn't save this segment. Miz is starting to get a little repetitive. Really? Really. Still pretty good though. He just needs something new to say.

Stupid Rocky 4 quotes. I wish Ivan Drago would come out and beat Cena up. If he dies, he dies.

I figured there was going to be the big beatdown thing that happens right around the time they start hyping the Rumble. Nexus did look alright though, or at least until they got chased off by the 2 biggest jokes in WWE.

Match 1: Santino and Kozlov vs. The Usos, WWE Tag Team Titles

The Usos looked pretty good, but the match overall was dull. Also, if they want the Usos (or any team for that matter) to look like legit contenders, they need to stop having them lose to a finisher that is almost on par with the Finger Poke of Doom.

Rating: 6/10

This random backstage thing with Punk didn't make any sense. Oh well. That's WWE for ya.

Match 2: Morrison vs. Danielson

There were a couple of awkward moments, like when Danielson arched his back for no apparent reason in the first set of transitions, and Morrison was getting a little sluggish by the end but overall this was a great match. PPV quality for sure. I'd actually like to see more from these two.

Rating: 9/10

I liked Sheamus' little bit here. It was nice and arrogant, which is what I'd expect from him.

The Bellas really need to get on with this split thing if they're going to do it. Seriously, it's been weeks now, and I don't like this whole "maybe they will, maybe they won't" crap I see. They seem to have an issue, work it out, lather rinse repeat. It bugs me. Another question, if they're both in love with Danielson, why are they talking about Morrison? Unless they're really not in love with him and are just using him.

Match 3: Ziggler vs. Orton

Second great match of the night. Vickie was her usual annoying self, and I love how it seems like she's forgotten all about what Edge showed her last week on SD. Back to the match, it was fairly intense. Another PPV quality match that we got to see for free.

Rating: 9/10

So that's what Miz was talking about earlier. Orton getting laid out was interesting to watch, and I like the way Miz delivered his tag line. I think it had more impact that way. The yelling only works during promos in my mind.

More faith stuff from Punk. I'm a little confused by this. Maybe this is his way of showing that he's a real leader with these "pep talks"? I dunno. It's strange.

Match 4: Maryse vs. Natalya

Pretty dull match. I wasn't impressed by much here, but Natalya did a good job as always. Maryse did okay, but it wasn't her best work.

Rating: 5/10

Random freakout by Maryse. I guess this kind of thing is what they were talking about when they said she was struggling with getting DiBiase over. It bothers me that Ted isn't getting a push because of Maryse. If they want to push Ted, why don't they just cut Maryse loose?

Top Rope Challenge

Ted DiBiase issues a top rope challenge to anyone on the Raw roster. Of course the World's Fattest Man answers. It would be too silly otherwise. I'm not surprised it turned into the shit show it did. Question: Why did it keep going after DiBiase lost?

I'm not even going to justify this with a rating.

Del Rio did a good job on the mic again, but that's the only thing worth mentioning.

Match 5: Punk vs. Cena

Punk did quite well here, as he always does. However, Cena ruined the match for me. The Koji Clutch by Punk was pretty sweet. Too bad it ended the way it did. I would rather have seen Cena tap but we got a DQ finish.

I don't understand that. It shows weakness. If they're trying to make Punk look like a strong leader, why would he need someone to come down and interfere? Sure, Cena lost, but it suggests that Punk isn't good enough to win on his own, which is never a good thing if you're trying to be a good leader.

Rating: 6/10

New member of Nexus, pretty cool I guess. I like what Jericho called Mason Ryan on Twitter: Batistwo.

That's the end of the show.

Average Match Rating: 7/10 (+1)

Match of the Night: Danielson vs. Morrison/Ziggler vs. Orton (tie)

Overall Show Rating: 6.5/10 (--)

I'm discontinuing the magic 8-ball feature. I'm losing my ability to predict things. Either that or WWE has become to erratic.

I'll have my 2011 wish list up in the next couple of days. I'm trying to come up with something good for a storyline, but failing that, I'll have something else planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment